Tuesday, March 01, 2005

That Bitter Taste

You know...the one you get in your mouth when someone says something that just rubs you wrong?

For example:

  1. Nuke-u-lar: wtf? Highly educated people discussing politics, international relations, security policy, and so forth (all while criticizing the current administration as a whole for being stupid, fascist pigs of world destruction) should learn how to pronounce this word correctly. I couldn't tell you why the mispronunciation of nuclear bothers me so much but it makes me cringe. It absolutely makes my skin crawl to hear people that make this mistake criticize policy makers while in the act of mispronunciation. Hypocritical fucksticks are the worst kind!
  2. Ex-military: simple mistake I suppose, but a serious lack of respect that never ceases to annoy me. Let me clarify. I pay attention to the military. I respect the military establishment and those who have offered their service to our nation. I study, in part, military affairs in a program with people who study aspects of national policy that include the military. You can't get out of our program without talking about the military. Most people work for defense agencies or something similar. So why is it that these people, completely doused with military lingo, don't understand the difference between ex and former in this context? Catch me on a bad day and I have vignettes dancing through my head of reaching across the table, grabbing the offender by the collar, and flatly correcting him before returning him to his seat. But the idea always makes me smile - he'll never see it comin'

Off to brush my teeth...

No comments:

Post a Comment