Saturday, April 02, 2005

Roommate Crap

My roommate's family lives fairly close by - he grew up here, he went to college 4 hrs away and then returned. Sometime during the week after having had dinner with them one weekend he came to me and we had a conversation that went vaguely like the following:

Him: My uncle asked me a question at dinner that I didn't know the
answer to...

Me: Ok... What was it?

Him: He wanted to know what your plans for summer are...

Me: *quizzical look* That's an odd question for your uncle to be asking. I've never met the guy...

Him: No... he was just wondering if I would be getting a new roommate
or you know, whatever...



I proceeded to answer his question by saying that I didn't know what my plans were. That I had applications in for work but that I didn't plan to take classes.

In my mind the conversation was a poorly veiled attempt at just asking if I was moving out once the semester ended. To me, that also means he's trying to say, "Hey, I don't like living with you. I was here first, get out." Are you kidding me, buddy? Sure, you've lived here for a year but that doesn't make it your house. And you chose to let me live here over all the other people that applied for it. Deal.

A quick picture of this guy...
He's a computer programmer for the federal government. He likes things to be very orderly. He practically lives by routine. He has a circle of friends he does X with and a circle of friends he does Y with. His friends don't know about the girl he's been dating for over a year. He doesn't like for his roommate to know his friends. With his last roommate (according to his girlfriend) they each stayed in their rooms with the door closed and hardly ever talked to one another. The brand new TV and couch are in the exact same STUPID place they were when the last guy furnished the living room (the TV in front of the fireplace) and he is not open to moving it - he doesn't like change.

Apparently I'm in his space, messing up his routine, and he's too much of a puss to come and talk to me about anything he doesn't like that I am doing. So now I'm going to have to confront him on the issue...fun.

On another note - My roommate is not my landlord. I pay my rent to the owner that lives down the street. And even if I wanted to leave, I can't for 2 more months. I not only agreed to the standard 30 day notice but I agreed to give such notice on the first of the month preceding my move (should I choose to make one).

No comments:

Post a Comment