Thursday, March 24, 2005

St. Pat's at McP's in Coronado

from vacay, Thursday, March 17, 2005

Rather late on St. Pat's the girls and I hopped in the car, headed down the freeway, jaunted across the (most awesome) bridge to Coronado Island - The Crown City, as they like to call it. We found a pretty good parking spot and headed to the bar. I had never been but it was suggested by one of the girls since her very Irish (American) man had taken her there once. (Their website also said it was the hottest place in Coronado on St. Pat's).
We hit the bar around 11:30 I suppose. There weren't too many people there - at least a lot fewer than I had expected. We got our drinks, grabbed a place to sit, and proceeded to check the place out. It had a great atmosphere. It is owned by a former Navy SEAL so there is some military feel to it. We mostly kept to ourselves and I could tell the girls were bored. I think it made one miss her man. I don't think the other really cared much about the holiday. Oh well... It wasn't until last call when the night started to get interesting.
I went up to get a shot of Jameson and another Guinness but things didn't go according to plan. I got squished up against one guy and we joked about it before he tried to pawn me off on his friend (the first guy's fiance was across the room). It was funny. I ended up with a triple shot of buttery nipple (which I ordinarily don't drink but felt bad turning down) and my Guinness instead. I left the girls to themselves for a while as Mr. Navy and I chatted. The girls eventually came over and joined in after they had been hit on by a couple of other guys. We ended up down the street at another bar they had been invited to and we ran into a couple more guys who had been at the first bar. A good time was being had by all. Unfortunately, that bar closed too and we all had to go home.
Here's where the funny part begins...
Mr. Navy was heavily intoxicated. Mind you, he had been respectful and nothing but a gentleman all night (I know, that doesn't sound right...but it's true). In any case, he said he was going to walk to his car. I wasn't having that happen on my watch. After trying to convince him to get a cab or call his friend we ended up offering to drive him to his hotel. He said all kinds of funny things in the car. We dropped him off, I got the number to his hotel, and we went home laughing the whole way. The next morning we all got up and got ready, gave him a call, and headed back to his hotel. At noon he was definitely hungover. He was very appreciative that we were driving him back to his car and he said so many many times. We got back to Coronado and realized his car was at his buddy's house. He looked like a PIMP coming back the next afternoon with three girls. His buddy just rolled his eyes and we laughed. He got out of the car and said "thanks, even though we'll never see each other again." We drove away and laughed the whole way to the dive shop.
All I could do at the end of the day was shake my head. Good samaritan girls, I suppose. Adventures on vacay, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment